Old 11-30-19, 04:34 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alpharalpha
Cycling can be far more dangerous than a lot of people may think; there are so many random things that can happen to us that are outside the sphere of motorists and pedestrians.
So, you're looking for incidences that didn't involve motorists or pedestrians?

Then, for me, the close calls that didn't involve those involved dogs chasing me (and a squirrel that ran across the road, right in front of my bike, as I was going downhill). Once, when I decided to move into the other lane (because shouting at the dog wasn't working), there were, occasionally, drivers going by; I was worried that I might get hit by a car, while trying to avoid the dog which might collide into my bike, bite me, etc.

I didn't like having to do that, being suddenly unpredictable for drivers, cycling in the opposite lane, but it worked: the dog didn't want to go out into the road where there were cars passing by, in order to chase me on the other side.

Strangely, the most dangerous and serious incident I've had was while walking, last year, not cycling. I stopped when the German Shepherd circled around me, stopped in front of me, came up to me, sniffed by hand, then bit my wrist. It was silent the entire time, not growling or barking at me at all. So, I didn't expect to suddenly be bitten like that.

I feel lucky that my hand and arm didn't permanently lose sensation; but it was scary for several weeks, not knowing whether or not I had rabies or whether I was permanently disabled.

Last edited by anon06; 11-30-19 at 04:43 PM.
Likes For anon06: