genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I swear I passed through a pick-up truck once.

I can't find my original post about this but the short version is that I was in a narrow curbside bike lane with a steady stream of two-way traffic on my left and a large dump truck coming up from behind in my take-a-look mirror. I hear a large engine roar to my right and look at the residental cross-street but my view is temporarily blocked by a privacy fence.

Suddenly, a large 4x4 pickup explodes into reality from the right at a tremendous rate of speed...too fast to stop before colliding with the dump truck coming up behind me.

Funny how my first thought was NOT that I was going to be the meat in a violent two-vehicle sandwich.

A millisecond later I reflexively squeezed the brakes, locked up my wheels, skidded and involuntarilly closed my eyes as the big 4x4 on my right began to cross in front of my bike.

Sudden silence as everything stopped with me on the far end of the intersection...untouched! Whipping my head around to the left I see the pick-up truck sticking out into traffic, and the dump truck stopped right before it.

I know I must have just slid by in front of the pick-up truck, but based on my memory's visual immagry and its own internal telemetric computations, my brain swears I passed through the pick-up truck.

That is the only real close call I had in 27+ years of serious bike commuting...and it was enough.
Dude... you're a "Jumper."
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489099/
Likes For genec: