Old 02-12-20, 02:14 PM
polyphrast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetcyclists
I'm curious what people's thoughts are on brake sensing bike tail lights. They seem to becoming more popular even on lower cost tail lights, but I'm still undecided if they are useful features or just a marketing gimmick.

I've used two lights that have the feature, Magicshine Seemee 60 and the Lupine Rotlicht. Both lights seem to implement them differently though: Magichshine switches to a high power flashing mode while Lupine goes to a high power solid mode.
I have two lights as well, both going in higher mode: a B&M taillight, controlled by the change of the A/C frequency provided by the hub dyno and the Lupine Rotlicht.

I agree with Vegastriker that many motorists don't expect a brake light function from a bike It is useful for other bikers, and anyone (even a motorist) who pays attention to the surroundings can notice it (and should connect it with a braking function). IMO: no harm done, but i don't know whether it is always useful.

additional con of the Lupine Rotlicht:
That g sensor is sensitive to rougher bumps as well (and if used on the "high sensitivity" mode, that light is basically all the time in max brightness. It is ok in the lowest sensitivity mode). I use the rotlicht with the pulsing mode (on the second lowest level)