Old 07-21-04, 03:18 AM
meatwad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<<
Originally Posted by MKRG
What can you all tell me about this Schwinn Collegiate? It has and internal Shimano 3spd and the crank is Sugino? This bike rides GREAT, heavy but smooth as silk. I just picked it up for free. Looks like in its hey day it was only ridden 3 miles and then garaged.
>>

Seeing that model is a bit upsetting. I just went to quite a bit of trouble turning my letour IV ( the one year the frames were truely made in chicago out of gas pipe) into a retro clubman. thought I would have something unique but it looks basically like yours but with drop bars and a mens version. Same color even.

Leave it to me to go to a lot of trouble down gradeing an entry level bike.

You could make the same mistake I did with it.

Put the wheelset and cranks on a bike boom mens model . The bike won't look much different than a fixed gear to those who don't know or care about the difference but those who do know the difference .... will not respect you for it.

I'll tell you this much though . Its a blast to ride with 3 gears. Until I can convince someone else of that I'm just going to tell myself that Im on the cutting edge of the "next big thing". Fixed gear is sooo 00s.