View Single Post
Old 05-25-20, 04:10 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
The '86 Miyata 710 I bought to ride in AZ had a Vittoria Zaffiro 23mm front tire (340g) with a heavy thorn-proof tube in it (a whopping 460g) and even that was filled with who knows how much Slime (and unknown extra weight), and since the back tire was gashed/flat, the only tire I could find to fit at a LBS less than $60 was a heavy-as-hell Randonneur II 28mm (490g). Needless to say I was NOT impressed with the ride. I thought a triple-butted Cr/Mo frame would have been better...

My next trip out there, I was ready - in my luggage were two pairs of Rubino Pro 150tpi - one in 25 and one in 28mm, and two light/standard tubes.. I opted for the 28s(230g) because of the rough aggregate pavement out there (the evaporates away the asphalt binder, leaving the cobble-pebble type road surface...) All-up tire/tube weights before - ~800g each wheel AFTER:: 330g/wheel. 470g saved x 2 = 940g or 2.07 POUNDS! Two pounds of rotating weight!

That two pounds was just the extra weight, but the ride quality before was stiff and wooden. With the light/supple Rubino Pros it was like a racing stallion in comparison! Now I LOVE that bike!