View Single Post
Old 07-18-19, 09:15 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I have the new bar tape in hand, one more saddle on the way (we're going B17 front and back), and tires are standing by.

I should have inspected the old girl a little more closely before buying the above, though. The front wheel's brake surface is a bit concave now. Not a big surprise given it's a rim brake, stopping a heavier bike and two riders, but something I should have thought to check.
So... cheapest route, since the hubs are fine (so is the rear rim, so far as I can see... gonna look at it more closely too), I'll probably end up picking up a rim for the front, and some double butted spokes. I'm thinking Dyad, and though I have to look again, I believe I'll need a 40h.

Since it's a front wheel, I thought about using it for my first attempt at wheelbuilding... but that thought is tempered by the additional human and overall bike weight. I think I'll source the rim/spokes, and take it to my bike co-op, and either have them lace it up, or supervise/instruct me. They do have a couple wheelbuilders on staff.

Since I'll be flinging the bike around a bit, I'll save the more cosmetic upgrades for last... frosting on the cake.

I can still service the BBs, HS, and hubs in the meantime, and take a closer look at the frame joints while I have the drivetrain apart.
Heck... might as well squirt some framesaver in while everything's out.