Old 03-25-11, 04:28 PM
episodic

Bikes: Had a Surly Cross Check - was totaled in recent accident. Sadly now just a Fuji Crosstown as a backup bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, mega chains have driven out the variety and ability for me and many Americans, especially those not located in a thriving metropolis to have a large variety and choice in the goods that we purchase. Usually we are limited to 1 - 2 big box retailers within a reasonable drive or we must buy sight unseen from internet merchants. The choices locally are small and limited, and the money that we spend over the course of a year at such retailers is often substantial as they are the only place locally to buy goods and services. One of the 'selling' points of these mega chains is that they usually have a liberal return policy by which they abide. It is not necessary to have a problem other than your satisfaction is not sufficient. Hence the 'American' phrase satisfaction guaranteed. I rarely use this option, however, in light of the economic climate that I am in - I will use it. I don't have the ability to window shop and talk to experience shopkeeps and get great advice. Sometimes, I just must purchase something and see if it works for me. Since competition was killed long ago, chances are I have to purchase it from a mega-chain which through their business model do not generally employ experts in their fields in various departments to advise customers. Since this has been foisted upon me and most consumers through no fault of our own, I don't feel any pain in utilizing a return policy when it is advantageous to me. Obviously, it is advantageous to those retailers as they have captured USA wide - sometimes worldwide markets through their policies.

Now, there are some places I would never think of returning things. For instance, I bought a seat I didn't like at a LBS. I didn't return it as he is a one man operation - and I want to support him. I ended up regifting it to someone else that uses it till this day. I would not return things at my local health food store that is also a local operation.

If these mega corporations don't like me returning stuff, I would believe that they would change their policies. In the last year I've returned a coffee machine I didn't like (didn't get hot enough), I've returned some shirts (didn't fit me after all), and I even took back an entertainment center (it was very unstable even properly assembled).

I'm sorry that in other places in the world people are stuck with all of their bad purchases. I'm guessing where you are there are more boutique style stores where you can get more service, advice, and utility from your purchases, but sadly that business model is failing in many places.

Originally Posted by tmac100
So you bought an item and used it, and now want your money back?? And you admit it wascheap. You want something "good but cheap"? Huh? Only in America!!

Sounds like you want a retailer to MAKE you happy at your convenience and at their expense.! If I am not mistaken, there is No indication that the bovy was defective or .. So WHY are you retuning it (with the implication that you will get your money back).

Am I missing something here about consumer behaviour in the USA? It sounds like the case of the lady spilling HOT coffee on herself while driving (after taking the lid off the coffee cup) and successfully suing the vendor for getting scalded/burned. Sounds like you don't want to take responsibility for your actions...

That said, maybe you should forget about camping and bicycling and stay home in your nice warm bed - and suing the bed maker because you found the bed too soft or too lumpy, or..

Sheesh! After reading such opinions I am happy to be out bicycling in places away from the USA. Seriously!

Don't get me wrong, because I have spent a bunch of time in the USA and have wonderful experiences there, but attitudes like yours remind me that I should be away from folks and attitudes like yours. Africa and Australia remind me of such "away from" places that are pleasant, safe, and enjoyable - and where folks take responsibility for their own actions.

Take responsibility for YOUR actions and beliefs. Rant mode off