View Single Post
Old 09-12-20, 08:49 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Appears you have a few things visible-

that is an odd rear hub as the flanges are spaced more like a track hub but there is no lock ring left hand section- those are of just slightly smaller diameter. I think that this hub set was originally for a citibike.
I have seen guys try and use a bottom bracket lock ring jammed against the cog ( to fool race officials that want to see a lock ring )
I would not rely on that to hold together for skid stop backpedaling forces.

both hubs are missing their bearing covers.
this was done from time to time by track racers as they would just flush out the bearings often and add a few drops of oil before a race session. ( I am guilty of this)
But! Tracks are pretty clean and what I described is servicing the bearings about after every hour of use.

these hubs am under the labels are Nuovo Tipo hubs. Super rare would be an authentic track rear hub.

if it were me, time to look for a real track wheel set, full sets often go cheaper. If you find a Campagnolo hub set- keep in mind that the axle nuts are available new still and expensive!
so, look for a set that has all the hardware, nuts and cog lock ring ( also available- Campagnolo uses a wee bit different threading - so also not cheap!)

removing the bearing shields on a bike destined to see road use is borderline poser and stupid. I think good chance the cones may already be toast. The bearings look quite dirty.

Last edited by repechage; 09-12-20 at 08:57 AM.