Old 01-29-21, 07:34 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Ha! I fully expected that my "58 and getting too old to tour" comment would elicit some "WTF?" responses! I guess the isolation of the pandemic has made me suddenly feel "old." Also, my wife seems to be losing her desire and confidence to drive, alone, to the mountains of New York State to attend the week-long retreats that were always my excuse to get away on the bike for a couple of days. Now her events are done virtually.

Anyway, this thread is mostly about the logistics of traveling on public transportation, staying in hotels, eating in restaurants, and visiting the places I used to enjoy hanging out at the end of a ride. Most of you are describing rides along desolate rail trails and bikeways and staying at campsites. A typical "tour" for me involves driving to a ferry terminal, sailing across the Long Island Sound to New England, riding 25-50 miles to a destination, having lunch/dinner at a favorite eatery, parking my bike along a boardwalk or in a shopping village to hang out and talk to locals, then staying overnight at a simple hotel with an indoor pool. Breakfast is usually in a diner or bagel shop, then it's off on my return to the ferry.

So you can see that most of my trips involve being around lots of people. My dilemma is how to avoid that aspect and still enjoy the ride.