View Single Post
Old 01-04-16, 07:28 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I think that you could build a pretty good approximation of a Trek 920 using a combination of other components, instead of buying the stock bike. I.e. An alloy MTB frame, a Surly Troll/Ogre fork, a Shimano Deore triple trekking groupset from one of the European Online retailers, a short stem/drop bar combo with bar end shifters, or a Jones bar/Butterfly Bar with MTB trigger shifters, 36h rims and hubs with DT Swiss Double Butted spokes and racks. The forks will have a lot of mounts and there are quite a few frame adapters (p-clamps) for rack mounting for the rear. Many MTB frames have eyelets that will support fenders at the rear, and the Surly forks definitely have them, but there are a range of cheaper forks available that could be used.

I really liked the look of the Trek 920, but ultimately I went with a Specialized AWOL for a number of reasons. The basic concept of the 920 seems to me to be valid, but I disliked a lot of the stock features of the bike (for a touring bike, that is), including the gearing (not low or high enough), the brakes (complicated for maintaining while touring) and the wheels (through axles are still hard to find/replace where I live and I am a bigger guy, so 28 spoke wheels were never going to be acceptable for me).

Last edited by PDKL45; 01-04-16 at 07:31 PM.