Old 06-21-19, 07:39 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Thoughts on the BD Motobecane Le Champion TI DISC PRO

As kid I lusted after a carbon fiber bike and finally when I was old enough to buy one I got a 2016 Kestrel RT1000 and it was fast, very light, had amazing paint job, and had internal cabling but one day it was propped against a garage and fell with a large gust of wind and cracked the paint. This started a sickening paranoia about the paint job and then if the bike was cracked, fortunately someone in my old neighborhood who understood what happened offered to buy it only $100 lower than I paid for it on sale . More recently I got a beautiful 2017 Scott Addict 20 Disc but as some of you saw from my last post an eBike ran me off the road. I am still trying to work with the alleged restaurant in getting some kind of acknowledgment of involvement let alone some kind of reimbursement. Either way this led to the chain being popped off scratching the frame, broken lever name plate, and scratched brake lever, a rock chip to the crank, and a rock chip to the frame which looks like only chipped the top coat. We could debate all day that I should have stood my ground or not fallen off my bike but I didn't and nothing can be changed or reversed now. Also we can debate whether the bike truly has any carbon damage at all and it probably doesn't but one thing is for sure that there is no way to 100% know without doing $300-$1000 testing and stripping down the bike. Secondly the Scott Addict was bought from a wholesale buyer essentially making it it 2nd hand bike even though it was brand new. Correct me if I am wrong but Scott's warranties don't transfer so even getting a crash replacement with a discount would be impossible. Maybe it's luck but again someone has offered to buy my current bike this time $300 less than I paid for it. I fully disclosed what happened to the bike and the state of the warranty and they seem fine.

Which leaves me to turning to Titanium. I know any bike can crack so Titanium isn't some unbreakable material but monitoring for cracks in the welds of Titanium is a lot easier to do and a lot less likely than Carbon chipping or cracking. Not having a paint job is cool and convenient since Titanium just needs polishing and I will not have to worry about chipped or cracked paint. I guess the biggest downside for me is styling since no Titanium bike to my knowledge has internal routing and if there is I probably can't afford it. Secondly the bike I am most interested in from Bikes Direct has a huge Motobecane logo on it which wouldn't be as bad if it was prestigious S-Works or something, and supposedly removing said logo voids the warranty?

So long story short if the sale of my bike goes through I will be buying a Motobecane Le Champion TI DISC PRO. Anyone have any thoughts on this bike? Any thoughts on Bikes Direct? Assembly? Thoughts on Titanium? let me end this by saying I know I am paranoid but I am this way with my car, my computers, my clothes, ect ect. I know a bike is meant to be ridden and a few scratches here and there mean nothing, anyone want to talk me off this ledge? Or am I right to think this?

Last edited by Jrasero; 06-21-19 at 07:45 AM.