Old 07-12-20, 07:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I always recommend the Topeak Race Rocket because they work so well and are excellent values. I've had the short HP for a few years and used it a lot on my hybrids with Schrader tubes and road bikes with Presta. No problems. I got the slightly longer HPX for another road bike -- the longer stroke makes it just a little easier to get higher pressure.

The shorter HP will fit my jersey pocket, jeans rear pocket, or a medium sized Serfas Speed Bag saddle bag. It's the smallest practical mini pump I'd bother with.

I also have a Blackburn Core Slim, about the same length as the HPX. Excellent pump, although the ergonomics aren't quite as good. Sharp metal end caps. On the plus side it includes a useful metal valve core wrench. The Topeak Race Rockets supposedly include valve core tools but they're useless -- soft plastic that won't grip anything.

I usually clip them onto the water bottle cage mount. Occasionally I've carried the Race Rocket HP in a pocket. Same with the Race Rocket HPX and Blackburn Core Slim. The Blackburn has the best bottle cage mount -- it secures the pump well enough I didn't bother replacing the rubber band retainer doodad after it broke. The Topeak bottle cage mounts aren't quite secure enough to depend on without the rubber band, or a twist tie, on rough roads. After the original rubber band retainers broke I used a regular rubber band, twist tie, whatever was handy.

Pros:
Good ergonomics. The rounded end caps and rubber grip make 'em easy and comfortable to use, compared with similar mini pumps with hard metal end caps or sharp edges rather than rounded.
The hose, as other folks noted. Makes it a lot easier to use. Unlike the Lezyne and Pro Bike Tools, the hose is integrated into the Topeak and Blackburn.
Convertible for Presta or Schrader, just by twisting the threaded chuck, following the clear diagram.
Smooth operation.

Cons:
The plastic rounded end caps on the Race Rockets supposedly house a valve core stem wrench, but they're soft plastic, useless.
The Race Rocket HP takes a lot of strokes to reach full pressure. I usually quit after 200-250 strokes. That's riding pressure, around 65-75 psi. The longer HPX and Blackburn Core Slim require fewer strokes.

Last edited by canklecat; 07-12-20 at 07:26 AM.