Old 07-15-20, 12:51 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Just curious which LBS is the one that shut down, and which one you are dealing with now (I'm a local)?

Since you are already familiar with the procedure for removing the crank, I'd get a cheap one online that can get you through this period, and then put the defective crank back on when the time comes for you to have the recall work done. I get that the shop wants you to leave the bike with them (although I agree it is strange, considering they always seem to have storage issues), so I'd just do your own thing and then pretend that you want to initiate the recall procedure later on (when the weather gets worse or whatever).
I think this is what I am going to do. Unfortunately, i can't seem to find a compatible crank right now, either. The only one available (Brands, Wantagh) requires a different bottom bracket. I just replaced mine - and bought a second one as a backup - so I'm not ready to eat all those costs, too!

The two shops I could always count on to get parts for this old bike were Visentin in Oyster Bay and Williams Cyclery in Plainview , definitely not mainstream shops, so you probably don't know them. Both closed this past year.