Old 08-02-20, 02:52 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by zlsanders
I'm looking at getting a new road bike for a 11 mile commute each way and can't decide on whether to get a carbon or aluminum Trek domane 5. I'm looking to put panniers on the back to carry my laptop bag(for the sl i'd get a rack from trek that connects to the axle), about 10 pounds.

I'm about 300lbs and the isospeed on the rear seams nice. I've only ridden similar bikes(cause everything is out of stock). Do you think the carbon will be worth it? I do have a secure place to leave it
I’m a year round commuter, 14 miles one-way in Metro Boston. My favorite bike is a carcon fiber Speialized S-Works, with a aluminum Diverge road bike as a beater for bad weather.

I have been involved with several threads in general about expensive bikes, and I have posted about my conclusions after riding a nice steel bike for years, totaled in an accident::
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red.

I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting,making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end.
As you note though, bike security is a paramount consideration; my bike goes into my office.

I'm a heavy guy, but weight has not been a concern. My road bike does not have eyelets for a rear rack, but I have a nice seat pack (Arkel), though too small for a laptop, I think.