Old 10-27-20, 12:50 PM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Cure for Cold Feet and Cold Hands

I'm considering signing up for Adventure Cycling Association's North Star tour that goes from Missoula MT to Anchorage, Alaska in summer of 2021. I reviewed journals from some hearty souls that did that ride in 2014 and 2018 (I don't think ACA offers the North Star tour every year) and came away with these impressions: 1) Fantastic Scenery; 2) Great Friendships; 3) Rain....and more rain; and 4) Cold...temps reported in 30s and 40s for large share of trip. I did a ride in the NW and Yukon territories several years ago and experienced the same things reported in the journals above. I also remember my feet being blocks of ice and unable to feel my fingers on many days of that tour despite wearing gloves and shoe coverings. So.....
1. I am considering purchasing winter cycling boots such as Lake's MXZ304 or 45NRTH's Wolvehammer or the Shimano XM9. All of these are pricey and the reviews of these boots on the web seem all over the place (love, hate, ambivalent). Anyone have any experience with these and your opinion of them?
2. I'm also considering buying bar mitts - used traditionally by Mountain Bicyclists in winter to keep my hands warm. Any opinions about these?
3. Any other tips/advice regarding keeping hands and feet warm greatly appreciated!