Old 03-01-21, 08:18 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Dismount Difficulty For Senior Road Rider

I'm a senior in my 70's that has enjoyed road biking ( with a road bike ) for many years - wasn't sure if this question should be in the Adaptive Cycling sub forum - I'm roughly 6"2" with long legs relative to my torso and so my seat is set pretty high ( used the method in LeMond's book to set the height ) - in my younger years I would dismount by holding the bars , left leg on ground , and then swinging the right leg backwards and over the saddle - that maneuver has become impossible - so now I either find a curb or lay the bike down between my legs and then try to get a separation between legs an bike , requires some good balance .

My wife has suggested that ,while holding each seat stay , I go on tip toes and push the bike and saddle forward so now all I have to do is lift my right leg over the rear wheel to freedom - was wondering if any other senior riders have experienced this dilemma and what their solution was or if anyone just has a thought on how to solve this problem - I've even thought about wearing a small backpack with a couple blocks of wood on straps to give me that extra few inches to get the leg back and over the saddle

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts .

blinky is online now Report Post