View Single Post
Old 03-05-14, 05:38 PM
megustamibici

Bikes: '84 Mercian King of Mercia, '78 Austro Daimler Inter 10 Mixte 650b Porteur Conversion, '73 Raleigh Competition, '51 La Perle (Formerly owned by Sheldon Brown, restoration ongoing), '60 or '62 Mercian King of Mercia (Frame and Fork work in progress)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2001 LeMond Zurich with Reynolds 853 Pro Team tubing was the first bike I ever fell in love with, at first from afar and then as my first nice bike. I saw it in my local bike shop when new, but as a penniless teen, could only afford to take home the brochure. While in college I scrounged enough money to buy one off of craigslist in 2005, in original kit. It was quick, comfortable, sprinted and climbed really well. I rode it for tens of thousands of miles, and really loved the ride. So much so that I convinced myself it fit, though it was clearly 3-4cm too small. Even so, after the Ultegra shifters started breaking down I upgraded just about everything, and got the weight down to 17lbs even. I rode it for another two years in that configuration and finally sold it after buying a proper C&V ride that fit me. I definitely have a soft spot for LeMond bikes, but as my tastes have gone farther and farther towards classic steel, I don't think I'd buy one of that same period today, even at a steal of a price. In short, great bikes and still very capable, but I don't think the Trek produced ones will ever attain classic status. They were, however, a great attempt to make US made, high performance steel bikes into credible competition for the growing wave of carbon fiber everything.