View Single Post
Old 03-05-14, 09:21 PM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'd also have to agree that the early LeMonds from (from Greg's own label) are on the cusp of becomming 'classics.' Word of mouth is gradually gaining a few ears, and I've seen the prices gradully rise since the summer when I bought & restored mine.

So, if you're into collecting (or just looking for a fine ride), now is the time to find them. As an example, around here every few months or so, some guy who doesn't know any better puts a totally sweet early LeMond on our CL for around $200 - $300 with a listing like, "old bike." I'm sure that can't be unique, that it's likely the case everywhere, and that in five or six years such deals will be a thing if the past.

The later Trek-made 853 LeMonds are excellent bikes (as a Buenos Aires owner I'll admit I'm somewhat biased in my view); well-made, as far as TIG-welded frames go, and some of them- like the late '90s Zurich/ Maillot Jaunes & BA/ Alpe de Huez frames (and likely the Propad)- will be considered classics in maybe a decade or so. At the moment, they're still under the radar, in the shacow of some of LeMond's later & more confused designs. The Sarth was a return to form- and nice sunset for the Zurich's geometry, but not as well built; a 'classic' case of "too little, too late."

My Buenos Aires:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LeMond05.jpg (103.4 KB, 1318 views)
File Type: jpg
LeMond06.jpg (104.1 KB, 1308 views)