Old 10-13-19, 11:47 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53
So how does the Speed Work ? I see on Trek Site it appears to be 20 and 28 : Obviously you still have to pedal : Does it mean on a flat surface if you are limited to 20mph assist : Were you to get going that fast it would stop assisting you past 20 mPH? I don't quite understand How these work : I've ridden pure Roadies and went faster the 20 MPH . But on a Verve No matter how fast I get going I've never gotten to 20MPH on a flat surface. Of course My riding Surface is Graveled Not smooth Black Top : So if I had a Verve E Bike that was capable of 28 MPH assist : Could I get going that fast ? Or are E bikes just for making it easier ?
A pedal assisted e-bike will make you into an athletic rider instantly. The motor adds to your own power and will make the pedaling so much easier and you'll be able to maintain those speeds for extended periods of time. Imagine as if though you had a really strong tailwind at your back or as if though you were pedaling downhill all the time.

Now an e-bike that will assist you to only 20 mph, is called a "Class 1" and if it assists you to 28 mph, then it is a "Class 3". In most jurisdictions here in the USA, you can ride a Class 1 on all of the bicycling infrastructure such as bike lanes, bike paths and in many cases, sidewalks. Class 3 however may be restricted to riding only on public streets and roads for the obvious reason of their higher operating speeds.

On a Class 3, some local ordinances make exceptions to allow you to ride on MUPs as long as you have the electrical assistance turned off and operate it like a regular bike. But check with the local authorities on this. E-bike laws in the US are weird. In your case, since your intention seems to be to ride with roadies, on roads of course, maybe none of the regulatory stuff regarding Class 1 vs Class 3 really affects you at all.

In theory, if you are a really strong rider, you can continue to pedal past the assistance threshold and go faster but that is challenging for most people. With a Class 3, I don't think you would want to go any faster anyway.

Last edited by edwong3; 10-13-19 at 11:58 PM.