eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 445 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
Hello,

I’m looking at one of two Giant Defy Advanced Pro endurance bikes - the Pro 0 and the Pro 1. There is a large difference in price, which as best I can tell is mainly the SRAM drivetrain componentry. The Pro 0 offers the eTap Red AXS series, the Pro 1 is the eTap SRAM Force ASX.

I have an older (2012) Giant Defy Advanced 0 which has the electric Shimano Ultegra Di2. I love the Ultegra Di2 and this would be my preferred, but it appears Shimano is not an option on these bikes. I am thinking of a 2020 primarily due to brakes, wider tires and improved seat and handlebar design.

I’m 62, so won’t be racing, but I do enjoy spirited rides in the hills of VA, am a decent rider, and am sold on electronic versus mechanical shifting. So I am wondering if anyone has experience with Red versus Force and could provide some feedback. Would I even feel the difference at my riding level? By the way, I’ll probably keep both bikes.

Thank you,

William
This is something I'll never get - why Giant does not offer a DI2 option on its Defy Adv. Pro lineup like they do with the TCR.

Short answer, the Red is better than the Force (you can compare it to DA vs Ultegra), but I doubt you would feel the difference.

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
This is what I did. I didn't want SRAM, so I bought an Advanced 1 and had the shop upgrade it to di2 (even gave me a deal on trading in the takeoff parts). Came out significantly cheaper than the Pro, and I didn't care about the other features of the Pro. Plus, the Wine Purple on the Advanced 1 is awesome.

CF wheels & steerer tube = the 2 main differences between Adv. and Adv. Pro. Sick color by the way! Love the slammed down stem.

Last edited by eduskator; 04-23-20 at 10:14 AM.