NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
I've used a SPOT for four canoe trips in northern Minnesota and Canada, more in the middle of nowhere than I could get on a bike. It has performed flawlessly. I suppose it's theoretically possible for updates to get lost, but it's never actually happened to me or anyone I know.
DIsclaimer: I haven't used this device myself, just going by what I have read. Apparently the 3rd generation device has an improvement whereby it has an indicator light telling you when the message has been sent. However it is still apparently unidirectional, i.e. you don't know if the message was actually received. You can see comments about this from people in reviews on places like Amazon and REI, e.g.

SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger - REI.com

Overall, I have been generally pleased with the device WHEN IT WORKS! Meaning messages are not always received by the recipient, once sent by the user. This was a common complaint with the 1st Generation devices, coupled with the fact there was no way of even knowing if a message was sent once the user activated the various notification buttons. The latter problem was one of the major improvements of the Generation 3 device. There is a green “message sent” light which illuminates once the last message has been transmitted. Unfortunately, there still seems to be issues with messages actually being received by the satellites and ultimately forwarded along.

As an example, I conducted a five day solo trip into the Ansel Adams Wilderness this last week. My wife, also an experienced backpacker, was not keen on this solo adventure. She was my primary emergency contact and was relying on my once daily check-ins to keep track of my routing, which included potential cross-country travel. Despite the “message sent” indication being illuminated, my device failed to actually send the notifications on two consecutive days. Which coincidentally were the days in which the cross country travel was anticipated. This equated to a failure rate of 40% and a very concerned and upset wife upon my exit from the back-country.
I think it depends on location - not just being close to a canyon or trees, but different places in the world can have different views to the satellites that are used by SPOT. So one person in one area might have perfect performance, whereas another could have spotty (no pun intended) reception. This talks about it a bit more, including discussion of the Globalstar satellite network that SPOT uses:

Satellite Communication: SPOT 2 ? review and warning | Korpijaakko

I'm not trying to slam the SPOT here, just that I think the one-way nature of its communication isn't something that a lot of people are perhaps aware of. I think when it works, it sounds like a great device, but the problem is, you can't tell when it's working, because there is no ack for sent messages.