View Single Post
Old 11-27-19, 06:13 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Weird tabs on Huret Honeycomb Dropouts

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

wrt Honeycomb -

@NHmtb,

in case you were a-wondering anent the presence of the small half thickness tab on the edge of the cycle's righthand dropout it is part of a chain holder arrangement -

@juvela Thank you for mentioning that point.

For years I'd been wondering what those protrusions were for. When we first saw them in 1974 our comment was WTF?

They looked like casting "sprues" or runners that weren't ground off.

Several years ago my curiosity was quenched when someone posted a photo of the chain hanger attachment on BF. It's designed to hold the chain when the rear wheel is removed. Rather an overkill design??? I've never seen one in the steel!

As I mentioned above, these dropout could be used with just about any rear derailleur on the markets at the time. It got around having to use 3 different dropouts:

1. Industry de facto standard Campy style with the travel limit stop at 7:00 O'Clock
2. Huret with the travel limit stop at 4:00 O'Clock
3. Simplex style with a travel limit tab on the back of the RD to fit over the front of the dropout. Shimano used this method for a long time and so did later Campy RDs.

Simplex (and early Shimano plus later Campy) travel limit tab.

Simplex and Huret had a rather chauvinistic view that they were at the center of the bicycle derailleur world. There was strong competition between them to have their proprietary dropouts used on bikes - when you needed to replace a derailleur, you had to use the brand that matched your dropout.

Along came Suntour who threw a monkey wrench into the French derailleur makers plans and adopted Campagnolo's style derailleur hangers. Most other derailleur makers followed suite!

Maird!!! Sacre Bleu!!!

By the mid 70's both Simplex and Huret started offering dropouts that used the de facto Campy standard hangers. But... in true Gallic tradition, they continued to offer their proprietary dropouts! Remember the Maginot!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 11-27-19 at 06:17 PM.