Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Bikes: Kuwahara Caravan, Specialized Stumpjumper S Works

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Regarding how this thread is titled... hype.... let's be honest, the 3x and 2x systems also can be called hype. Look at all the bikes advertised as having 21, 24, 27 speeds just based on multiplying the chainring with the cassette cogs. Obvious this is marketing BS. First, some gears are duplicated, some are near duplicates, and some are cross-chained. So the 27-speed bike only ends up with maybe 15 gears. Advertising 27, while only offering 15 - I call that BS marketing hype. Some manufacturers even go through the effort of putting permanent "21-speed" labels on the frame.

You can think about 1x drivetrains what you want. but you get what is advertised. 1x11 means 11 distinctive gears.... no BS promise of more than that.

I also bet 99% of riders (even touring) that don't do road racing are well served with the range offered by 1x12. And that has multiple range options (with different step sizes) for many people's taste. 11-50, 10-50/51, and 10-45. sure, some racer, roadie or some other people may be served better by 2x11 or 2x12, but that is a small number that really NEED the small steps.

What you choose is practically more determined by what spare parts are available where you tour. If you tour Africa, sure, 1x12 may be hard to come by. Compromises have to me made.
HerrKaLeun...I guess as I get older I want to be less influenced by hype and have more information on what is. You bring up a good point about getting what you get when it comes to a 1x system. As a consumer of components since my teen years I've always been a sucker for marketing; not just in cycling but in everything. I like to think now I put more effort into finding something by asking more and more questions. I'm searching for a place to learn about what cycling now has to offer but I want to be picky about my sources. If I walk into a bike shop I feel I will be sold something that hasn't been tested as thoroughly as it should be. I try not to buy things that are the tip of the spear. I'm content to wait and see how other people fare and learn from them. Most places around here have nothing but this years bikes on offer. I will attempt to learn about them if possible and hopefully make an informed decision based on experience an through trusted sources.