View Single Post
Old 06-24-20, 11:29 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
I'm starting to consider something I haven't considered for a long time, namely buying a hobby bike as factory built and not as a frameset. I haven't bought factory specced hobby bike in... 2013 I think. Utility bikes don't count, because utility bikes are typically cheaper as factory builds.

I honestly have no big criticisms about any of the component choices. The only nagging thing I have is the bar width which is 480mm in 62cm size. My current bar is 440mm wide and it's quite ok. Then again I did have the FSA Metropolis bar on my Kona and it was the bees knees so a wider bar might not actually be a bad thing. In fact the added width may allow for a shorter stem.

The one thing I'd probably change is replace all the spokes with DT Alpine III's because I'm guessing the original spokes are straight gauge. But the wheelset in general seems pretty ok. Alex Adventurer 2's are pinned (boo!) but they are tubeless ready (yay!).
The Novatec hubs I've serviced have been decent quality and the bearings have been generic = cheap. The servicing was also really easy even without special tools.

Interesting. I'll have to pay off my violin to my wife before I can get a new bike but after I've done that we'll see.