Old 07-05-20, 06:48 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
An hour or so before a ride, usually oatmeal with banana and yogurt, sometimes a cheese omelet. Coffee......................................

.................Clif bars and gels. I usually stick with what works for me, doesn't cause digestive problems. Usually Clif chocolate mint bars with caffeine, and mocha gels with caffeine. I just got some Clif espresso gels with double the caffeine, so we'll see how that goes..........................

.................Occasionally on a longer ride -- 50-100 miles -- I'll stop at a convenience store to top up.......................
To quote the unique Athlete Dr. George Sheehan ---

​“We are each an experiment of one.
A unique, never-to-be repeated event.”

CC's approach suits him well but if I were to follow his routine I would not be riding my rides because my body can't function with those metrics in place. Last night I began a ride on my 2018 Roubaix Expert shortly before the Moonrise having eaten 4 hours earlier. To eat one hour before heading out would leave my legs dead to the crank. Gels are a mainstay, CrankSports e-Gel and the 100mg caffeine CLIF Shot Double Espresso or Chocolate Cherry. Yesterday I also had a peeled Manderin and a Madjool Date with M&M's inside. One bottle half frozen with water then ice and water added and the second half frozen with water and Heineken 0.0 added before leaving. Total ride was 101 miles ans completed with only one touch, a brief stop to check Google map at mile 70 (my age on Friday) then I did the 12 mile TT for the Cruzbike 2020 12 mile TT Challenge.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 07-07-20 at 06:00 PM.