View Single Post
Old 03-19-15, 07:59 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
NOS, have you tracked down what caused the ITB issue in the first place?

I had it chronically for about a year, and exacerbated it when pushing hard at low cadence (generally while touring, but also on a highly geared road bike).

I also fiddled with the Q on my cranks a little -- using MTB cranks means one side can be further away from the seat tube or centreline than the other. Cleats weren't an issue because I was using Time Atac with generous float. However, I also trimmed away a small section of the sole of my shoe so that I could clip out more easily -- the rubber was fouling the springs in the pedals and I had to use more than usual force to twist out the cleat, and that was a big problem for me late in a 600km randonnee when I almost fell off the bike trying to unclip.

Those changes along with riding at higher cadences, lower gears up hills with loads and using a stretch helped overcome the issue.

I get an occasional twinge, and this more so now I have gone to Shimano pedals (but with the 3-degree float).; I've recently rotated the cleat on one of my new pair of shoes to help solve that twinge.
Yes, we know that initial injury was an overstretching of the ITB during a misstep and knee twisting event. It was misdiagnosed & the physical therapy actually made it worse. However, that did lead to a more accurate diagnosis. It seems that over developed quads contribute to the gluteus medius and minimus being under used. This then creates a higher risk for ITB syndrome. So, I'm working on exercises to (as my son says) strengthen my a$$.

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Welcome back ... again. I don't know which was worse, your untimely "death" or the 6 month absence without knowing.
Perhaps I should adopt the name Phoenix

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I had ITB syndrome too a few years ago and it also took me about 6 months to get rid of it entirely. mostly I think, for me, because I didn't get on the foam roller band wagon right away. what do you attribute your recovery to?
Given I was dealing with an overstretched band, the foam rollers turned out to actually make the situation worse. So, as mentioned above, I worked on the ole a$$. Actually it turns out the moderate hiking with a backpack is an easy way to engage these muscles. So, I took progressively longer, moderately paced, walks with a backpack.

Oh, yes, and a big thanks for all the well wishes. They truly are appreciated.