Thread: New Helmet Time
View Single Post
Old 02-25-20, 10:03 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Keep us posted on how you like it. I forgot, what brand were you using before?

I think fit means an awful lot. The Giro models seem to fit my head shape the best. I’ve tried some others but they just ride too low on my head. My brother tried the Bontrager Wasvecell last year but returned it after a while. He found that it was pushing down on his glasses.

I’ve had two side helmet hits and one crown blow. Two were at pretty high speeds, excess of 20 mph. The crown was when I flipped over the handlebars and landed on the asphalt headfirst. That was the softest blow.....but the Giros cracked did their job every time. I’ve shown the helmets to other younger people and told them the crack would have been my skull if I wasn’t wearing the helmet.
I've always used Bell helmets ... going back to the V1-Pro. I'm not exactly sure why.

No question my helmet saved me a serious (and maybe fatal) head injury. I guess people can make their own decisions about things like this, but lemme tell you ... TBIs are no joke. You can get a serious TBI even with a helmet, so to me it makes no sense at all not to wear one.

I just ordered the Bontrager Specter. I'll let you guys know how I like it.

I'm out of the slings, casts, and braces. I start PT in a week, and I'm actually thinking I'll be back on the bike in a couple of weeks ... albeit for short distances at first.

I can't wait.