View Single Post
Old 09-06-18, 01:46 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
My gut instinct tells me you’re assigning a newly acquired rational assessment of the risk to life and limb that can come from cycling in general to your fixed gear drive train. Fact is, when anyone has an accident or even a near miss, it gives you newfound feelings and perspective. I think that’s good in the long term, though of course I’d never wish anyone have an accident.

I once had had an incident with a raccoon on a night ride. It clearly didn’t know i was there until the last second, despite my 1000+ lumen light and freaked out as I got right up beside him. Turned to run back across the road in the direction he likely came, and ran face first into my front wheel. Completely knocked the bike out from under me and I dislocated my shoulder. I haven’t changed anything about how I ride or how I feel about that bicycle. (a fixed with single front brake) I just keep my eyes more open. Same thing would have happened if I had been on a road bike, so it is what it is.