Old 04-03-19, 03:35 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
I agree with DorkDisk. I just replaced my suspension fork on my Crosstrail. Found it was cheaper to have LBS do this rather than buying a cutting tool. LBS charged: $20 for cutting and installing and $15 for repacking the headset bearings. Cutting tool guides range from cheap $15 to over $40 for the good tools. If you don't have the proper saw, then that is an additional expense.

To me, being how little I would use it, I felt it better to have this done at LBS and not waste money on a tool that would not be used often.
A good hacksaw is useful around the house and for cutting handlebars and seatposts (more common)

Removing and installing a crown race without the proper tools is almost impossible. The race is a part of the headset and needs to be pressed into the fork for the headset bearings to roll on. Each headset uses a unique race and close enough doesn't work here.

The race remover and installer do one job each and do it well.

Chopping the steerer is the easy part.

Then theres spillover tools and hardware: torque wrench for crabon, files, housing ties, maybe brake adjustment.