Old 04-25-21, 06:14 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I had a bike fit yesterday.. it was very interesting. Since this thread is still alive I thought I would ago over some things that came up.
  1. I was doing a little side-to-side on my butt when pedaling. My seat was ever so slightly angled up so he adjusted that. It was surprising how much better it felt to make that nearly imperceptible change. This change plus some of the adjustments below seemed to solve the side-to-side motion (which I didn't really notice until he pointed it out - it was not a lot).
  2. My frame is a bit on the big side; by size charts it is accurate, I have an 86cm inseam so I "should" be on a 58cm, but in practice he said it is on the big side. He put on a shorter stem and flipped it.
  3. Due to the too-long reach I had my elbows too straight and this was in turn causing tension in my upper back and neck. This tension would always come on after an our or so into a ride and was most annoying and was limiting how long a ride I wanted to do. Anyway with the shorter/flipped stem I can put my elbows lower, and when I do that adjustment I can literally feel the tension leave my upper back.
  4. For my shoes I have very high arches which are not supported fully by the insoles in the shoes. I have had problems with tingling feet and numbness, pretty much always after an hour on the bike my toes are tingling. He suggested a model of insoles to buy and I will be getting some of those.
  5. My knees want to be wider than my feet; he moved the cleats to as wide as possible, but feels I should look into some longer pedal axles since I need even more width there.
  6. In looking at my knee angle the cranks are too long. They are 175's, he suggested I go a lot smaller (165 or 170, forget what he settled on). He also lowered the seat a small amount.
Overall going in I thought my fit was pretty good and he would find a minor thing or two. Going out I don't think I had the greatest fit to begin with, and wished I had gotten the bike fitting a lot earlier! I have not gone on a long ride yet but will soon know if any of these changes will help. I'm going to chew on the shorter cranks, along with the cranks cost I also have a crank power meter so it will be an expensive change.
Likes For scottfsmith: