View Single Post
Old 08-13-20, 08:53 PM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
There's a mental aspect to it all as well, and I confess that it's my weakness. For example, I had to drive to work today (one day every four, due to rotation), and I hit a little traffic. In no time at all, I was back to my usual (bad) reactions (not responses) to it all.

At work, I synced my fitness/watch to my phone and looked at what my heart rate did during that period. Peaked well over half way between resting and full exercising. To me, this is evidence (if not outright proof) that simply removing myself from what used to be my most major source of stress has been good, but I have failed to take advantage of it to change my attitude towards the inevitable.

There is no point to reacting to things like traffic that are beyond my control, and yet I do. I am so grateful for the experience I had today, and it will take more than tomorrow's bike ride, and good diet to fix that. It will take (ugh) looking at my weaknesses, and not my strengths. I'd rather brag about my accomplishments.

Gratitude is said to be a good practice, so I'll just say I am grateful for this forum. It has been a significant part of my improvement over the past 5 years.