Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by gregw
Another good use for a space sarong is as hail storm cover. I have been trapped out in a hail storm with no cover in sight. In my case I used my tents ground cloth to drape over the bike and climb under. The hail was as big as ping-pong balls for a few seconds and this kept me from getting clobbered. And..... certainly everyone could agree that the shinny space blanket is a far more stylish sarong than a drab and dirty ground cloth!

Actually, I carry a foil emergency bivy too. They are a little heavier than the space blankets but as such are a bit warmer too, and I tend to get very cold at night when camping. That emergency bivy has been used as a storm shelter, in a situation similar to yours, as a ground sheet, and as an extra blanket on cold nights.

Here's another one ... rather than carrying a flashlight, use an LED helmet light. The helmet light is good if you end up riding after dark, and can also be used if you set up camp after dark. It frees up your hands so you can set up the tent quickly and easily, and cook your supper. Then later when you are sitting at the picnic table or lying in the tent reading or writing up your journal, it makes a great light for that as well.