View Single Post
Old 01-02-15, 01:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Why so many repeat questions?

Since I was recently and publicly chastised by @FBinNY,
Since you referenced me, I thought I'd respond.

I didn't chastise you, I simply asked whether you had a problem, or were satisfying your intellectual curiosity. As I said, I (and maybe others) am always willing to help someone in need, but less interested in general discussion or education when answers are readily available. (I have thousands of posts that evidence this, including many responding to FAQs).

Your post referenced a fork spreading method, then posited an alternate method -- an easier way? -- in a way that led me to infer that you didn't really need help, which prompted the question. I might have posted otherwise, ie. you read the tutorial, why don't you follow the instructions before deciding there might be a better way? As a matter of basic logic, it makes sense to discuss positive ideas, but there's little sense reviewing the infinite number of impractical methods.

I probably responded the way I did because of some your prior posts where you asked a question, then proceeded to debate every answer offered.

If you said I'm working on a fork and having a problem with the method I read about, I would have tried to help. OTOH - had you said, you were only interested for theoretical or hypothetical reasons, I'd have wished you well in your research.

So, it's not that the question has been asked before, but about whether those responding can offer practical aid to someone who needs it or not.

So that's the reasoning process from my point of view. If anyone finds being asked why they ask, and what specifically they need, offensive that IMO is their problem not mine. As you point out we're all free to ignore posts we don't care for or about.

BTW- I'll take your advice about not responding yo your posts in the future. No sense offending someone who doesn't want my help anyway.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-02-15 at 01:34 PM.