Old 02-22-19, 08:36 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Sure, I get trying to identify with locals, but if you are obviously not local - just tell them how it is. Learn English and make more money. That sells.
Indeed. That mentality carried me through my 20s. I took a couple of trips around the world, bought a brand new car, and put a 20% down payment on a house after teaching English in Korea for a few years. Really ridiculous looking back, especially as a fresh grad with nothing but a business degree and no teaching experience whatsoever, but whatever. In addition to the regular job and private tutoring on the side, I got paid some decent money a few times to do voice-over advertisements in the worst-google-translated English I've ever heard. No one cared. They just wanted English. It was complete gibberish and made very little sense, but apparently it didn't matter as no one listening actually knew English. It was just a facade to show how "internationalized" the company was.

Ah, the good ole days. I'd go back in a heartbeat. I could save more money in Korea in three months than I can in a year in the U.S.