View Single Post
Old 06-14-15, 10:02 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...My still-tentative plans for the OHR is to incorporate it into a visit with family in the Northeastern Detroit suburbs, as I did in 2010. Like we did in 2010, I was thinking about a Friday afternoon ride and/or later dinner...

So, that’s my story, but I’m flexible, and not sticking to it.

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I had to breathe in a big lung of air and sigh after reading that. Now, that is one full weekend. Our downstate plans changed to the 4th so I'm out.
I hope that deep sigh was one of disappointment, not exasperation at my (slightly) long post. Usually these Fifty-Plus Rides have been at least two-day affairs, since some attendees travel a considerable distance to attend. Plans are usually pretty flexible, as suggested by the “host” (instigator) of the Ride.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I'm still up for OHR, but ... I had a crash yesterday and the beautiful silver Mondonico some of you have seen is now history…

My health came out surprisingly well: No concussion, good range of movement except for stiffish neck, no headache or amnesia, and the sore shoulder seems only to be bruised. My helmet is a total loss, however, badly fractured. It did its job.

Unless my shoulder starts a delayed stiffening, I should be fine for OHR as long as I stay on two wheels. If the shoulder does start to act up, I'll need PT and we'll just see what that entails.

As far as socializing, I think it would be great. Jim, if you can't be available after the ride, I have no trouble meeting you guys on Friday. Could do a pub dinner, ice cream, just a quick coffee or beer, or whatever. And we can socialize on the ride.

I do have some work to do for confidence over 40+ miles at 14 mph! As for Mrs. Road Fan, if you guys can keep up with her, you're all much better than I am.
Wow, RF, sorry to hear about this. It sounds like a “major” crash, especially with such damage. I won’t ask “what happened?,” but posting details for me at least gives me renewed attention to such situations on the road.

I’m not too conversant with bike models, but yours sound exotic. In 2010 I was riding a Bridgestone RB-1 which I was told is a classic, touted even by Sheldon Brown. I was hit from behind by a “distracted” driver in 2012 – no lesson there – and the RB-1 was totaled (see attached). I now ride a superb Specialized S-Works.

Originally Posted by freedomrider1
I will be up early sat. for the donut buffet at the registration building. LOL. I will start early and probably do the 64 mile route. I been picking up the speed lately so have to see about that. Pacelines on those roads are a tough thing to do, they are very bad. I am open for anything after the race Oops i mean ride.Hey how about B.P. is he going?
So you are a no go for Friday. Seems there is no interest in a Friday ride, so unlikely I would drive up until Saturday. Is Mrs fr1 attending? If we’d like to ride together we’ll have to agree on a distance. Maybe we could do lunch after the ride.

No way we (I) can keep up with BP, as I recall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike4 - Copy.jpg (101.0 KB, 45 views)
bike3 - Copy.jpg (98.7 KB, 49 views)
bike6 - Copy.jpg (71.2 KB, 47 views)