Old 04-01-19, 07:55 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
You don't need to do 100 mile rides. You wouldn't race even half that distance at this point. And average speed matters very little in actual races. Trying to ride a solo 100 miles as fast at you can is very unspecific for the actual racing you'd do. Not that it can't be fun or good general training or a chance to explore or any of a number of other reasons, but for race training it's one of the last things I'd recommend doing or do. I can count on one finger the number of solo 100 mile rides I've done in the last 5 years, and in that same time period I've actually raced a few 100+ mile races.

Far, far, far more important is learning how to ride safely and efficiently in a group. If you want to race, getting plugged in to the faster/harder/better group ride scene is the most important first step (to being successful).

Especially in your locale and at your weight, you're going to have to learn how to be a ghost in the field, meaning you need to learn how to be very good at drafting, moving around in a group, and putting yourself into good positions for the finish.