Old 06-23-19, 05:16 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonah305 View Post
I've recently started to ride with flat pedals on all my bikes - road, gravel, vintage, etc. - and discovered that because I'm much more confident not being clipped in, I end up enjoying my rides a lot more. I've been riding clipless for over five years but never quite got over the fear of not being able to unclip fast enough in an emergency. I always felt a little on edge being clipped in.

Am I off for feeling this way? It seems that every "real" cyclist I see uses clipless with no worries. Certainly every cyclist in our local group rides seems confident in them. Are there really any major disadvantages to riding with flat pedals?
To me, the only time clipless is a bit concerning are those times when you have to slow way down to a crawl and risk losing your balance, enough to where you need the feet coming off the pedals fast. But, I've learned when I see a situation like that possibly happening, I unclip at least one foot and rest it on top of the pedal. Helps with confidence and obviously balance if you need it. Experience dictates how proficient you become in those particular situations.