View Single Post
Old 07-14-19, 11:30 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Is converting a rim brake classic Litespeed road bike to disc even possible? Maybe somebody that does a lot of custom ti work might take on the task of retrofitting a flat disc caliper mount on the rear non-driveside chainstay but then there is the issue of rear dropout spacing from QR 130 to QR 135mm. Not ideal at all.

So how does the bike ride right now? Is the rim braking lacking in some way? Can you optimize it in some way?

If you really want disc and titanium I 2nd what the previous poster put up about the Bikes Direct “Motobecane” model. There was a thread about that bike last week & it sounds like a great value @ ~$2,000.

Having a titanium hydraulic disc sloping top tube tapered fork through axle properly designed road bike frame to me is a great investment. Paying the upcharge for something really special is probably worth it. I imagine if you keep looking, you’ll find some more affordable options out there.

But rebuilding a classic ti road bike into a configuration it was not originally designed for, would account to future disappointment. For one, your tire size options would be terribly limited. This nullifies one of the coolest things about disc road frames, the flexibility to use disc only rims with whatever tires your heart desires.

Better to start with a proper, modern disc platform...

Last edited by masi61; 07-14-19 at 11:35 AM.
Likes For masi61: