View Single Post
Old 09-16-19, 01:25 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Demet
Thanks for this info. was very helpful and I've made a lot of progress. Have the bike running now, but need to adjust ratio. Currently have 52t chainwheel and 18t freewheel (which is White Industries I got of CL for a good price so would like to use it), and 165mm cranks, Might first try longer cranks, maybe 175, and see how that affects gear ratio. I like how much power I have when cruising on level ground, but starting from stop is a bit tough, would like to improve that a bit. Using Sheldon's calculator is really helpful, thanks again!
You are welcome, glad it is helpful. A lot of people will use a smaller chain ring for the front. I generally will use a 46. Then after you've done that you can monkey around with the rear cog size. Freewheels are available in a variety of sizes, but good ones are spendy so going from one to another to another is prohibitive. White Industries is top-notch. Good pawl engagement.

I agree with the post about the cranks. I don't think the added leverage is going to help much. Also, if you ever choose to go fixed, longer cranks on a bike with a relatively low bottom bracket is potentially dangerous going around corners.