Old 08-04-19, 06:22 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Tell me why I shouldn't be scared of dying on the road ...
Originally Posted by GlennR
It beats dying on the couch with a bowl of pork rinds next to you.
Originally Posted by Ray9
"Why I ride"

A lot of people wonder why I do something every day that would kill most people if they tried it once. Because I read the warnings on cigarette packages I abstained from the habit in 1976 when the price of the lung destroyers was 35 cents a pack.

Observations of friends and relatives that abused alcohol convinced me to avoid the poison and seeing the damage done to those who smoked weed and progressed to the stronger stuff alerted me to the reality that I and I alone have responsibility for my personal health....

I ran for many years until my joints and ligaments began to protest and because I had saved thousands from not buying tobacco weed, or alcohol,

I had the resources to purchase an expensive racing bicycle in 1983. It was the best investment of my life as nearly all of the people who were putting powder up their noses at the time are either already dead or swallowing their faces in a nursing home today.

As a libertarian I support the choices of all the corpses and institutionalized vegetables warehoused in beds across the nation enjoying the fruits of those choices.
Originally Posted by TimothyH
No, calling human beings corpses and institutionalized vegetables is to rob them of their dignity. They are people, not objects to be looked down on.

Some of us believe that those who have been blessed should serve the least and lowest, not dismiss them because of the choices they have made or because they are no longer of use to society.

We have all made mistakes and chosen poorly. Some of us regret those mistakes dearly. The fact that one chose to exercise and another didn't doesn't make one better or worse.

None of us know what the other person has gone through in life and what they are dealing with on the inside....Being hard hearted about it doesn't help anyone be better.

Any one of us could have get a disease or be disabled in a moment. Riding bicycles is no guarantee and the measure you give is the measure you will get. Personally, I hope lots of people come to my funeral and remember me as a sympathetic and generous person.

-Tim-
Every day at 72 I get on my bike and ride fifty miles, chasing the wind with clear lungs by choice.

I know there is a risk due to traffic, driver inattention and impaired vehicle operation but it’s a risk worth taking just like the risk many others took when they voluntarily sabotaged their vital organs with chemicals...
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Yeah?

Getting smashed into by a 4,000lb vehicle and then possibly dragged under it for 100 yards while you bleed out in full spandex for all the world to see beats dying on a couch in your home?

Interesting
If I should meet my end on the highway don’t feel sorry for me because any sympathy I have for those who threw away their health by eating like pigs, smoking like chimneys and drinking like fish can be measured in microns.

...I have a huge appreciation for those who worked so hard to make things better for me. That’s why I ride my bike; It’s good for my heart, my lungs and my mind.

You do what you want; you’re free for now. See you on the road

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-04-19 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Adde quote by TimothyH