Old 07-26-20, 01:09 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by TheCharm
Velocity is warranty replacing the rim, but I'm wondering about how to keep an eye on this moving forward? Up until now, I would check spoke tension every so often simply by check them all by hand and looking for spokes substantially more loose than the others. About once a year, I'd have my LBS check out my bike and I'd always ask them to check wheels for true and spoke tension, though I never provided any manufacturer-recommended specs.
Learn to build your own wheels.

While time consuming, it's not difficult when you don't need to be fast enough to turn a profit. Jobst Brandt tested his book _The Bicycle Wheel_ by having his two grade school sons each build a pair using it with no additional assistance.

When that is impossible, delegate to a reputable one-person operation where the same hands that earned the reputation build your wheels.

Properly built wheels don't change tension or go out of true unless you bend their rim on a road obstacle.

I'm thinking about getting the Park Tool tensiometer to use to check tension. I'll check as soon as I get the wheel as a reference value and then re-check every 1,000km or so, or at least a regular basis. That way, if it loses tension, I can take it to my LBS to correct it. Note that I'm not a wheel-builder, maybe one of these days. I'm just trying to start doing more and more for myself, but not sure I'm ready for wheels until I become more competent in other areas.
The tension can't change without affecting true and you will notice that.

Use a $5 cell phone app if you need to verify absolute tension. Input gauge and unsupported span. Pluck a spoke. The app will use a fast fourier transform to convert time to frequency domain, then the dominant frequency to tension.

You can hear the difference between spokes.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-26-20 at 04:12 PM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt: