36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Low Rider Question(s)

Hi,

I am in a debacle regarding low rider racks. Currently, I have a Tubus Tara installed, but the bar is tilted slightly. Should be alright for a bungee-less pannier, but I am looking at Lone Peak's panniers and I have one of 2 options.

Option 1: Looking at the Tubus sight, they have 'PLASTIC' attachments for the hooks...OR I could use the a rubberized metal P-clamp (I think thats what they're called) and D-ring attachment.

My question with this set up is with the angle that the rack is at, will I experience abnormal sway/slippage due to the elasticity of the bungee hook system?

Option 2: Plain and simple...Buy a new rack setup.

As far as I found, something like the Axiom Journey DLX Low Rider rack. I have seen it mounted on some bikes using the U-bolt, but really nothing on anything like the Kona. I've read that there are some sway issues, but with some rack hacks, I have seen some pretty good ideas and should be able to fix them if need be. Or maybe some other recommendations. Not really looking at full frame front racks. The Surly looks alright, but heard it was a pain in the neck to install.

Also, if you have the Axiom Rack, maybe post a picture of how its set up. It is unclear to me if you have to use the U-bolt or if you can use the preexisting bolts on the fork.

I chose the Lone Peak over Ortleib because they are locally made here in Washington, and I really think they will make a great addition to my Sutra. After all, Kona is based here in Washington too...

Here is my current setup (note the angle of the rack):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0230.jpg (100.2 KB, 141 views)