Old 07-14-20, 04:57 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexashley52
I think what I’m going to do is keep the weinmans and replace the pads on those. As for the rest of the bike, I think the best option is to go with a shimano 10 spd cassette, some 10 spd downtube shifters and a cheap ultegra or 105 RD. Cost will stay low and the build will still turn out nice. Any other tips or Info would be great!
You're actually building a bike similar to mine except mine is a 90s cross bike. I have a similar mish mash of parts though.

For the climbing involved in gravel, plus with wider tires you need lower gears to get the same gear inches - I'd suggest 11-42 or 11-36 in 10 speed. I have both and swap accordingly.

Do you already have shifters? I bet they would move through that range on friction, so maybe save $100? Otherwise, Microshift bar end shifters are the way to go. They make them in both road pull and mountain pull. That gives you the option for a clutched SLX deraileur. Or whatever, because friction.

That Campy crank is 135 BCD. You can get 40t narrow wide rings for 1x in that size, not smaller. J&L on eBay. Repeat after me, 135bcd, if you can't remember that, I've got a brand new 130bcd ring I'll sell you (that's a Campy vs Shimano nerd joke).