Old 03-25-20, 09:32 AM
badlydrawnboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I had a bottom-model Diamondback Catch (same as Release) a few years ago, the version sold through Performance/Nashbar. I had a good opinion of it. It was a screaming deal at the time, though.

The Release came out in 2016. When people were retrofitting their bikes with dropper posts a few years ago the wisdom was to size up. But newer bikes are longer now. So on the Jeffsy it would probably be ok to size down.

The Jeffsy and Release are both definitely trail bikes. There's a class of XC bikes that are better to pedal but shorter travel and lighter duty.
Thanks. I'm also looking at the Trek Fuel EX 7, which my LBS has in stock. I've been in there once and talked to them on the phone once, and they've been super helpful. The shop gets great reviews too.

Given that I know next to nothing about bikes, wondering if it might be better for me to buy from LBS rather than direct? The Fuel EX line gets great reviews, so if it's roughly comparable to the Jeffsy 29 Base it might be worth spending a bit more for a good relationship with the LBS?