Old 10-11-19, 09:39 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
It reminded me what I think all of us who drive a car should be reminded of: driving is a privilege and a luxury - it should feel like that. I can remember when I used to drive every day it felt like a chore, and I got a sense of entitlement behind the wheel. Now that I ride 95% of the days I am in the office, it feels like a treat to drive in a warm car and listen to the radio. As it should. I am glad bike commuting gave me this perspective. Life is too short to have a stressful commute.

I am sure most of you also drive a car occasionally, is this your sense as well?
It's got to be miserable weather before I enjoy driving a car to or from work. And even then it's a mixed "blessing" because there's a mix of idiots who can't drive in the rain and the fools who won't slow down for rain or traffic. Most of the time I end up wishing I'd ridden the bike.

This morning, for instance, I did a broad swerve on an early turn that left me grinning like a kid. I noticed a yellow billed cuckoo calling (late in the year for that one), and a bright red cardinal I concluded had to be young of this year to be so bright in the fall. If I'd driven the car, I'd have noticed how long it took a traffic light to turn, and how long the guy in front of me took to turn. The car would have been a chore, or a duty, rather than the pleasure I got from the bike this morning.
Likes For pdlamb: