View Single Post
Old 11-12-19, 09:41 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
My two current gen Ultegra Di2 are both noisier than my current gen 105 on my hybrid FX S6. One was spec'd with a KMC chain (Giant TCR) the other came with an Ultegra chain, which I upgraded to a Dura-Ace chain (now-retired SuperSix), so it's not just a chain issue. I think GCN Tech may have even mentioned a theory as to why the newer Di2 may be a bit louder. Both have been dialed in by LBSs mechanics that I trust. And it happened on 2 different Di2s on 2 bikes that are one year apart, different models, different LBSs, so to me that is more than coincidence.

I can tame the noise by applying Rock n Roll Gold every 30-50 miles. But in the dusty desert that is SoCal, it gets a fairly noisy at the 50 mile mark. The quietest I can get it is when I use the wet style lube (one drop per link). Then it's dead silent. But that stuff really attracts dust and converts it to grime very quickly. And then it's a pain to have to clean and reapply. Which is why I settled on the RNR Gold. Yes I apply it every other ride, but it's a pretty easy backpedal, apply, backpedal, wipe dry. Takes 3 minutes, gets it 90% of the way to the near silence of the wet lube, but with less effort and less grit/grime.

I do that for the SRAM eTap too, which keeps the noise down, to the point where I don't think it's significantly louder than the Di2. At least I don't notice it on my rides (I switch between the TCR and S3 every other day).

A friend is trying out SCC Tech Slick lube which is expensive (for lube) at $25 for 2oz. But apparently according to early reviews it applies like a wet lube (i.e. one drop per pivot joint), so that bottle should last you a good long while, and all it requires is a wipe down after every ride. They claim you don't even need to deep clean the chain prior to first application (though I will), and that if you wipe after every ride, road bikes can get 200-400 miles between reapplications (they really stress the wipe the chain after every ride part). When I run out of my RNR Gold, I may give SCC a try.