View Single Post
Old 07-16-20, 07:05 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
If you have the year correct, sounds like it is a 1 1/8 steerer tube, not 1 inch.
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...k%20&model=520

You might want to get out the ruler to verify size.

I rebuilt a Cane Creek C2 back in about 2004. I have no clue how close that model is to your C1. But on mine, the bearings were loose balls in between an upper and lower race that I could pry apart to clean and re-lube to re-assemble. On mine the upper bearing unit and lower bearing unit were identical. If yours is built like the C2, I think you should spend a little quality time with some solvent and good grease and see if it will work as good for you as my C2.

I bought my C2 used, rebuilt and re-greased it, put it on a frame that I eventually disposed of (was a defective frame), in 2016 I put that C2 on my rando bike where it works just great and is still in use.

There are lots of good headsets out there, if you really want to buy a new one you might find that the bike shop fee to install a new one (I assume you do not have the tools to press the cups into the frame and race onto a fork) might cost as much as the headset itself. Thus, resurecting your existing headset might be worth the effort. I do not recall exactly what I paid to put that C2 headset on my rando bike four years ago, but it was more than I expected to pay.

I do not think it a violation of copyright rules, I attached a PDF with the exploded diagram of a C2. I saved this file to my hard drive in 2004.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf