View Single Post
Old 09-26-15, 06:14 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by El Gato27
Planning an overnight trip to a near-by state park as a starter trip. Planning to leave mid-afternoon, spend ~3 hours on the road, camp overnight and head back the next day. Trying to keep it as simple as possible. To that end I was thinking of leaving the stove at home. I have a short list of non-cook foods below and can surely manage with that for an overnight trip, but was just wondering what other options are available.

Summer sausage, peanut butter sandwiches, cereal with nuts or dried fruit, tuna in prepackaged pouches, granola bars, sliced bread like Hudson Bay bread, cheese whiz, trail mix.

I have seen a few articles where people mention that they do not cook food and instead eat cold food while camping; however, most of those articles assume you have a method of keeping food cold (ice chest).

Thanks.
Sounds good to me. I almost always carry a stove, if for nothing else than to boil water. I am a coffee/tea drinker and I ain't gonna move in the morning without a cuppa joe. YMMV. I had a week long tour where it was hot, other than coffee in the morning everything else was eaten out of the can or raw, didn't want to hassle of cooking. One thing I do when touring and on longer rides is look for the produce stands. Plenty of good stuff that can be eaten as is.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon