Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
To the OP's original question,

"how do you measure the width of your rear triangle at the DOs?"

Answer: to be really accurate, with a set of calipers. +/- millimeter with a tape measurer. +/- 0.5mm, a ruler.

+/- 1 mm is really all you need. When I respace rear dropouts, it's kinda difficult to get them with an error of less than 0.5mm. In usage, this is close enough.
Well, yeah - that is the basic gist of my problem: the distance between the two is 126 on the Davidson and 120 on the Medici. Is the 120/126/130 measured inner dopout face to dropout face, though? Is that everyone's standard. Because I have heard tell that others measure rear spacing by the C/L of dropouts.

I just want to be sure when I get it spread to 126, which is my intention. I will have no problem shifting the Narrow Six over to the replacement wheelset as that wheelset is designed for a six-speed already. I'm assuming it will slide right into the frame once I have it spread.

I was just very, very surprised that an American frame made in 1979 would have an already-outmoded rear spacing built-in from birth. If anything, I'd think they would be pushing the next best thing.

Thanks for all the replies and info, folks. I'll be tweaking the frame and not feeling too badly about it, either.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-25-18 at 07:09 PM.