Old 08-14-18, 06:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Would you say something? (bike path racers)

This falls under "once you see it in the mirror".

I now feel like an ass. Once or twice one of the guys in the group took me out to the local rails to trails to paceline about 20ish miles or something. Not a recovery cruise. He was hunting for segments and I gladly obliged.

Now that I see a different guy from the B group posting stuff up doing the same, I feel guilty about doing it.

I know for sure the two guys had to cut a lot of blind corners at speed to do what they did. Now I feel stupid for doing that same thing.

If they show up to the group ride, would you ever kindly say something like "looking nice, but you guys might want to be a little safer and come join the A-group instead of racing the trails and apartment complexes".

This is a group of two to four guys who like to bash around town on greenways and do hot laps of apartment complexes running about 50 stop signs per ride.

I think the "a-ha" for myself was encountering the unexpected around some blind corners a few times but managing to not cause a problem. Then realizing I was being foolish.

What do you think? Those guys as a whole have a mildly unhealthy outlook on the whole thing. It's basically the "street racer" syndrome applied to bicycles. And not a one of them would probably ever take up actual racing.